Master of Technology (M.Tech)
Masters of Technology, also known as M.Tech, is one of the most popular courses amongst research enthusiasts who want to work in the field of technological research. The programme enables candidates to explore the realms of technology and come up with ideas that can enhance the technological growth of the nation as well as benefit humans in the longer run.
M.Tech program comprises the study of old technology as well as upcoming technologies. The aim of the program is to inspire innovation in the technical field and improvise existing technologies for better results. The research project and thesis are the major part of the program.
The program also enables the candidates to work on campus while pursuing the program. Students enrolled for M.Tech programs at central government and state colleges are also given a monthly salary of approximately Rs. 12,000.
M.Tech Course Highlights
The major highlights of the M. Tech course are given in the table below:
|2 years (4 semesters)
|INR 50,000- 2,00,000
|Must be graduate in B. Tech/ BE from a recognised Institute
|Merit-Based, Entrance Exam
· Candidates belonging to reserved categories and economically weaker sections are eligible for state government scholarship schemes.
· Deemed or private universities offer merit scholarships (based on marks in entrance exam or Graduation)
|There are a lot of internship opportunities for M.Tech in India.
|INR 3 to 6 LPA
· Senior Engineer
· Project Manager
· Technical consultant
· Technical Scientist
· Account Manager
· Technical Program Leader, etc.
Master of Technology (M.Tech) Eligibility Criteria
- Min Qualification Required: B.Tech (In respective specialization).
- Marks Required (Aggregate): 50% to 60% varies from college to college.
Note: Original copies of all necessary documents and mark sheets have to be presented during the time of admission at the respected college or university.
M.Tech Admission Process
- Admission to M.Tech Courses is conducted on the basis of postgraduate engineering entrance exams conducted either by the institutes or the state.
- Candidates who secure qualifying marks in the entrance exams have to appear for counseling and personal interview rounds to evaluate the technical skills of the students.
- Final selection is done on the basis of marks in the M.Tech entrance exam as well as a personal interview.
Following are some of the Popular M.Tech Entrance Exams:
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- IIIT-B M.Tech Admission (IIIT Bangalore M.Tech Admissions)
- IIIT Delhi PG (IIITD entrance exam – PG)
Master of Technology (M.Tech) Career Options and Job Prospects
There are various options that a candidate can pursue after completing the M.Tech course. Candidates who wish to foray into academia can appear for the UGC NET exam and apply for the post of lecturers at colleges. Also, research is a good option and candidates can pursue Ph.D. courses in their respective fields.
Salary after pursuing M.Tech can vary from Rs. 5 lakh to Rs. 22 lakh per annum. Salary packages vary depending on the institutes that the candidates have pursued the course from and also on the specialization they have chosen. Mostly, jobs offered in the software industry are quite lucrative. However, jobs are available after pursuing other specializations as well.