Diploma in X-Ray Technology
The healthcare industry is vast and requires professionals in the different fields to ensure a smooth functioning healthcare sector of a country. One of the allied healthcare fields in the sector is the Radiology and Imaging Technology which carries out a number of healthcare activities, such as X-Ray, which contribute extensively to various medical procedures.
One of the sub-fields in this area is X-Ray Technology. If you wish to pursue a career in this field, then you can pursue a Diploma in X-Ray Technology, which is a 2-year programme, designed to train candidates extensively in the technology that goes into this sub-section of radiology. The Diploma in X-Ray Technology is a career-oriented programme, which trains the students in using electromagnetic radiations to create an image of the core structure of a human being.
The curriculum of the 2-year Diploma in X-Ray Technology provides aspirants with clinical as well as administrative skills and qualifications. The diploma course will also train the students in the methods of conducting different laboratory tests, X-Rays and other radiographic tests and many more tests with the technology of electromagnetic radiations.
Diploma in X-Ray Technology Course Highlights
Here are some of the major Diploma in X-Ray Technology course highlights that you may need to know.
Name of Course
Diploma in X-Ray Technology
Diploma – UG
Minimum Academic Requirement
10+2 in Science
Minimum Aggregate Score Requirement
45% or More
Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics
Admission / Selection Process
University-Level Entrance / Merit-Based
Average Course Fee
Average Initial Salary
Areas of Employment
Govt/Pvt Hospital, Clinics, Laboratories, etc
Diploma in X-Ray Technology Eligibility Criteria
- All aspirants must have cleared the class 12 board examinations in the stream of science from a recognised board of education such as CBSE, ICSE, State Board or equivalent.
- Candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate score of 45% or more in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or Biology.
- Admissions will be based on the basis of a University-level entrance test, therefore, candidates must appear for the specified entrance exam, as per the guidelines of the chosen college. Some colleges also accept admissions purely on merit-basis alone.
Diploma in X-Ray Technology Admission Processes
In order to pursue the 2-year diploma programme in one of the many medical and allied health care colleges in India, you must take part in the admission processes for the Diploma in X-Ray Technology courses. The Diploma in X-Ray Technology admission processes will be specified individually by each college offering the course. Therefore, all aspirants are advised to go through the admission policy as outlined by each individual college. Check out the different admission processes for a Diploma in X-Ray Technology course in India.
- Candidates will be called to participate in a university-level entrance test, which after clearing the exam, the candidates will further be called to take in the other selection processes, processes.
- The concerned university or college will then release a merit list containing the names of the candidates along with their rank and score, which they obtained in the entrance test. These scores will only be applicable to the courses offered at the respective university or its affiliated/constituent colleges.
- As per the admission guidelines of the respective educational institutions, the candidates will be asked to participate in a Personal Interview and/or Group Discussion.
- Based on the overall performance of the candidates in the different selection parameters, such as the entrance test and the personal and/or group discussion, the respective university/colleges will offer admissions to the prospective students.
- Aspiring candidates will be asked to appear for the selection processes as outlined by each individual college, chosen by them.
- The colleges will either directly contact or release merit lists containing the name of the candidates who are shortlisted for admission based on the information they provided in the application forms.
- Subsequently, the candidates will be called for further selection processes which may include a Personal Interview and/or Group Discussion.
- Each prospective student will be selected for admission based on their performance in the different selection criteria such as their past academic record and the personal interview and/or group discussion.
- Applicable under both entrance-based and merit-based admissions, counselling based admissions are usually opted by Universities with many Constituent/Affiliated colleges under their ambit.
- With respect to Entrance-Based admissions, the respective universities will release merit lists containing the names of the candidates in the order of merit. The merit shall be calculated based on the score they obtained in the entrance test.
- With respect to Merit-Based admissions, the universities will release merit-lists with the names of each candidate, based on the qualifying exam marks.
- The universities will then request the candidates to participate in the counselling rounds on the stipulated date and time.
- Candidates will be asked to select the course and college as per their preference.
- The universities will offer admissions to the candidates based on the rank/score of the candidates, their preferred choice of college and course and the seats available under the individual choices.
Note: Each college will specify its own regulations for the admissions to the Diploma in X-Ray Technology course.
Diploma in X-Ray Technology Syllabus
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Radiography: Patient Care and Hospital Practice
Radiographic Techniques and Diagnostic
Basics of Radiography
Radiodiagnostic Radiography Equipment
Diploma in X-Ray Technology Career Options and Job Prospects.
The career options and job prospects of a Diploma in X-Ray Technology graduate are immense and continue to grow with the rapid growth of the healthcare industry. There is currently a dearth in the number of skilled and qualified X-Ray Technicians in the sector. Therefore, pursuing a Diploma in X-Ray Technology can help you pursue a career path in the field of Radiography. Here are some of the employment opportunities after Diploma in X-Ray Technology in India.
- Government and Private Hospitals
- Government and Private Medical Laboratories
- X-Ray Laboratories
- Outpatient Care Centres
Under any one of these areas of employment, the candidates will be able to pursue a stable career path in radiology/radiography. However, there are limited job roles after Diploma in X-Ray Technology. Here are some of the common job roles for a Diploma in X-Ray Technology graduate in India.
- X-Ray Technician
- Assistant X-Ray Technician
- Radiography Imaging Technician
- Radiography Technician
Within these limited roles as well, there is immense job security, especially due to the dearth in the number of skilled and qualified professionals, who specialise especially in X-Ray Technology. A graduate who chooses to pursue the career path can expect to earn a salary of an X-Ray Technician, ranging anywhere between ?90,000 – ?1,50,000 per annum, initially. With better experience and on-field skills, a Diploma in X-Ray Technician graduate can earn anywhere between ?1,60,000 – ?2,60,000 per annum.
However, pursuing a career path right after graduating from the diploma programme is not the only choice for you. One of the common routes taken by graduates is to pursue higher education after Diploma in X-Ray Technology. There are several courses applicable for a Diploma in X-Ray Technology graduate, some of which include:
- Sc in Radiology
- Sc Radiography Imaging Techniques
- Sc Medical Lab Technology
- Sc in Radiotherapy
Pursuing higher education right after graduating from a Diploma in X-Ray Technology will help in improving one’s career prospects. Better and a much wider variety of career paths, better salary packages and overall a better career growth prospects are enhanced if you decide to pursue higher education.