Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is a course that can be opted by students after Class 10th. It is also referred to as Polytechnic in Mechanical Engineering course. The course deals with the fundamental concepts of engineering under mechanical specialisation. The minimum duration of the course is 3 years.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is a discipline that deals with the application of the concepts of physics and science for designing, manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical equipment. The purpose of offering Diploma in Mechanical Engineering course is to provide education and training to students who can work as professionals in industries and production companies in future.
The course prepares students with the application of techniques and technologies in the workplace. It is offered by many institutes in India and is managed by the Technical Education Department of the state.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Course Highlights
Following are the major highlights of Diploma in Mechanical Engineering course:
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
INR 15,000 to 1.50 Lacs
INR 2.16 to 3.60 per Annum
Mechanical Design Engineer, Assistant Engineer- State Government, Technician in the Airline industry, Mechanics, Mechanical Technician, Lab Assistant
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
The minimum eligibility criteria to apply for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering course is given below:
- The candidate must have passed Class X board from a recognized board.
- He/ She must have studied Mathematics in the qualifying exam.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Admission Process
Many of the institutes accept the admission of students for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering based on state-level engineering diploma entrance exams.
Candidates must fill in the application form for the entrance examination and appear in the test on scheduled dates. After taking the test., the shortlisted candidates must attend counselling process to confirm sear allotment is the respective institute.
Some states conduct Centralised Counselling for Polytechnic admissions where the candidates will have to exercise the options. The seat allocation will be done on the basis of candidate’s preference and merit.
You can also apply for direct admission in various private polytechnic colleges. The admission will be based on Class 10th marks.
List of Entrance Exams for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
Following are some of the entrance exams for admission in Diploma in Mechanical Engineering in various institutes and state:
- Delhi Polytechnic Common Entrance Exam (Delhi CET)
- Polytechnic Common Entrance Test Telangana State (TS POLYCET)
- Polytechnic Common Entrance Test Andhra Pradesh (AP POLYCET)
- Karnataka Diploma Common Entrance Test (DEECET) – For Lateral Entry
- Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education Polytechnic (MSBTE) – Centralized Counselling (No Entrance)
- Joint Entrance Examination Council of Uttar Pradesh (JEECUP)
- Bihar Diploma Certificate Entrance Competitive Examination (DCECE)
- Jharkhand Polytechnic Entrance Competitive Exam (Jharkhand PECE)
- Punjab Joint Entrance Test (Punjab PET)
- Haryana Diploma Entrance Test (HSTES DET)
- Madhya Pradesh Pre Polytechnic Test (MP PPT)
- Odisha Diploma Entrance Test (Odisha DET)
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Physics
- Engineering Chemistry & Environmental Studies
- Engineering Mechanics
- Workshop Technology
- Engineering Drawing
- Basic Workshop
- Physics Lab
- Chemistry Lab practice
- Computer fundamentals Lab
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Career Options and Job Prospects
A Diploma in Mechanical Engineering student can apply for direct lateral admission in B.Tech course in the second year if they wish to pursue higher studies.
Those who want to work can apply for various job roles in government sectors as well as private companies. Some of the job roles that a student ca choose are given below:
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Assistant Engineer, State Government
- Technician in the Airline industry
- Mechanical Technician
- Lab Assistant