Master of Surgery (MS) - Course Overview
Duration: 2 yrs |Mode: Regular|Avg. Fees: 3,50,000 / Year
About Master of Surgery (MS)
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- General Surgery
Master of Surgery (MS) Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum Qualification Required: MBBS
- Minimum Marks Required: 50% (varies from college to colleges)
Admission Process for MS:
- Candidates who have completed MBBS programme along with the internship that is part of the programme are eligible to apply for the programme.
- Indian nationals holding OCI/ PIO cards are eligible for securing admissions under General category.
- Foreign nationals comprising OCI/ PIO cards, supported by their parents or siblings having NRI status can apply for seats under the NRI category.
Admissions to MS programmes is done on the basis of PG medical entrance exams. The popular PG medical exams are:
- AIIMS PG Exam
- NEET PG
- JIPMER PG Entrance Exam
Career Options and Job Prospects
Practicing medicine and treating the ill is one of the most reputable jobs in the world. For candidates who successfully complete the MS programme, there are various hospitals where they can start practicing. Another successful option is to start one’s private hospital and practice separately. Candidates can also apply for jobs in government hospitals. Selection for jobs in government hospitals and departments is done on the basis of entrance exams. Surgeons can opt for the following profiles after completing the MS programme:
- Urological Surgeon
- Lab Technician
- Neonatal Surgeon
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Lecturer or Professor
- Vascular Surgeon
Starting salaries of a surgeon can vary from Rs. 4 to 5 lakh per annum depending on the jobs they apply for. Skilled surgeons can get packages of up to Rs. 12 lakh per annum. Experience and successful surgeries done by a doctor play an important role in this field. Doctors with high success rate and experience can get up to Rs. 30 lakh per annum.
Other Popular Courses