Masters of Business Administration (MBA) - Course Overview
About Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
MBA or Masters of Business Administration is an internationally accredited post-graduate degree for developing business and management skills amongst future business leaders and entrepreneurs. A typical MBA degree covers a wide range of business fields like accounting, marketing & management. An MBA degree is not limited to a career in management so those interested in pursuing a career in the private, government & public sector can also benefit with an MBA degree.
In India specifically, there are two types of management degrees available.
- Masters in Business Management (MBA): This degree is offered usually a 2-year degree.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM): This degree is offered by autonomous institutes like the Indian Institute of Management(s) and is usually a 1-year course.
In recent times, various other versions of MBA/ PGDM have been introduced to adhere to the industry needs. Some of them include:
- Online MBA
- Distance Learning MBA
- Executive MBA
The MBA course curriculum is a combination of some core subjects like Marketing, Economics, Accounting and Operations, and Elective courses to give management aspirants a chance to follow their own personal or professional interests.
Take a look at the table below to know about some of the MBA specializations.
Human Resource Management
Health Care Management
Masters of Business Administration (MBA) HighlightsAll the important details about the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) course are mentioned below
Minimum Qualification Requirement
Average Initial Salary
INR 5 to 22 lacs per annum
Minimum Aggregate Score Requirement
Amazon, Citigroup, Deloitte, Apple, Bain & Company, Flipkart, Microsoft, Google, Tesla, LinkedIn, PepsiCo, Unilever, Nike, Ernst & Young and Deutsche Bank.
Masters of Business Administration (MBA) Eligibility Criteria
Admission to the MBA course is strictly on the basis of management entrance exams conducted on national, state, university/institute level. Besides this, students have to adhere to the following eligibility criteria:
- Graduate from any stream with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA from a UGC recognized Board or equivalent recognition from MHRD,
- Students belonging to the SC/ ST or PWD category will require a minimum 45% marks to qualify for any MBA entrance test
- Valid scores of MBA entrance exams like CAT, MAT, XAT, SNAP, NMAT & CMAT etc.
MBA Admission Process:
Getting admission to an MBA college is not a cakewalk. One has to overcome a series of difficult processes for admission to a top B-school in India. If you fulfil the basic eligibility criteria, you need to appear for any of the following entrance exams:
- Common Admission Test (CAT)
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT)
- Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP)
- Xavier’s Aptitude Test (XAT)
- NMAT by GMAC
- Common Management Aptitude Test (CMAT)
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT)
- MICA Admission Test (MICAT)
- ICFAI Business School Aptitude Test (IBSAT)
The government also conducts tests for admission to MBA government colleges as well as private MBA colleges in the state. Some of them include:
- Gujarat Common Entrance Test (GCET)
- University of Hyderabad’s CET (UOHYD)
- Cochin University Science & Technology (CUSAT)
- Karnataka Management Aptitude Test (KMAT)
- Rajasthan Management Aptitude Test (RMAT)
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) etc.
There are various management schools in India that also conduct individual management entrance exams for admission to their colleges.
- Jamia Milia Islamia (JMI), New Delhi
- SRM University’s Management Test (SRMJEE)
- Benaras Hindu University (BHU PET)
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIITEE)
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES-MET) etc.
Here a collated list of all the management entrance exams in national, state and college/ university level MBA exams for taking admission to the top colleges.
After your MBA entrance exam score is out, you can check out the B-school admission as released by that school. Wherever eligible, you can apply, following which, you will have to undergo the Group Discussion (GD) & Personal Interview) rounds.
Masters of Business Administration (MBA) Syllabus
Syllabus of MBA for first two semesters will be same for all the specializations. The third semester will contain subjects related to the specialization chosen by the candidate.
Economic Environment of Business
Human Resource Management
Information Technology Management
Management of Information System
Organization Effectiveness & Change
Production & Operations Management
Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility
International Business Environment
Legal Environment of Business
Candidates must note that in addition to three main subjects, they will have to choose five additional subjects depending on the type of specialization opted by them. They can check the list of available subjects from the table provided below.
Security Analysis & Investment Management
Project Planning, Analysis & Management
Quantitative Analysis of Financial Decisions
International Financial Management
Fixed Income Securities
Management Control System
Management of Financial Services
Sales Force Management
Sales Promotion Management
Advanced Research Techniques in Marketing
OB & HRM
Management of Industrial Relations
Counselling Skills for Managers
Manpower Development for Technological Change
Human Resource Planning and Development
Human Resource Development: Strategies & Systems
Negotiation, Persuasion & Social Influence Skills
Cross-Cultural and Global Management
Personal Power & Leadership through Asian Values
Managing Interpersonal and Group Processes
Training and Development
Leadership, Power & Politics
PRODUCTION & OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
Advanced Operations Management
Decision Models and Optimization
Total Quality Management
Production Planning and Control
Quantitative Analysis of Risk and Uncertainty
Supply Chain Management
Modelling in Supply Chain Management
Technology, Innovation and New Product Management
Environment and Safety Management
Family Business & Entrepreneurship
Managing the Growing Business
Entrepreneurship, Creativity & Innovation
Financing the Entrepreneurial Business
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT
Business Process Re-Engineering
Network Operations, Management & Security
Strategic Management of Information Technology
System Analysis and Design
Managing IT-Enabled Services
Database Management Systems
Management of NGOs
Hospitality Operations Management
Service Operations Management
Total Service Quality Management
Civil Aviation Management