Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery (B.H.M.S.)
About Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery (B.H.M.S.)
Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine & Surgery is a five-year undergraduate academic degree which offers knowledge about the homoeopathic medicines and system. Within the time frame of 5.5 years, it is mandatory for students to undertake the internships at the hospitals.
Homoeopathic system of medicine is totally different from allopathy system and strongly believes in the natural healing process of the body. The Homeopathy medicines work in such a way that they activate the body’s natural system of healing, as per them the healing happens from within (internally) and not externally.
The system of medicine is gaining a lot of popularity worldwide as these medicines are in a very diluted form and are made from the natural products found in the lap of nature. The course involves various practical sessions and readings of the homoeopathic text so that students can understand the origin of this system of medicine and how it benefits the human body over other systems of medicines and healthcare.
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery (B.H.M.S.) Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for BHMS course are mentioned below.
- Minimum Qualification Required: Passed in 10+2 in science stream with Biology, Chemistry, Physics as their main subject in high school.
- Minimum Marks Required (Aggregate): 50% to 60%, depends upon the college to college.
- Age Limit: Age Limit for the BHMS program is 22 years for the general category and 24 years for reserved category (SC/ST/OBC)
BHMS Admission Process
- Direct Admissions: In the majority of colleges, admission to the BHMS course is made on the basis of the candidate’s marks secured in 10 + 2 examination.
- Direction Through Entrance Exams: In some colleges, candidates are selected on the basis of performance in college/ state-level entrance exam
- Some of these colleges also conduct group discussion or/ and personal interview rounds as a part of the selection process.
- In both cases, when candidates are shortlisted, they must report to the college with all supporting documents and secure their seats.
BHMS Course Highlights
|Course Name||Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine & Surgery|
|Course Type||Degree Course|
|Relevant Stream||Allied Health Sciences/ AYUSH|
INR 20,000/- to 3,00,000/-
50% to 60%
Merit Base / Entrance Exam
|Average Initial Salary||INR 3,00,000 PA to 12,00,000 PA|
|Job Opportunities||Homoeopathic Doctor, Homoeopathic Consultant, Teaching Job, Pharmacist, Insurance Officer, Research Professional, Marketing Specialist|
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery (B.H.M.S.) Career Options and Job Prospects
After completing graduation in BHMS, candidates have a handful of opportunities available for them. Interested students can pursue an MD in Homeopathy which is for 3 years. Students can pursue MD in the subjects such as MD in Homeopathy – Materia Medica, MD in Homeopathy – Organon of Medicine, and others. Since Homeopathy treatment is side-effect free there is a lot of demand for the people with a degree in the respective field.
After graduation, one may practice as a Homeopathy doctor in both private and government hospitals/clinics. One can also start their private practice and can work in the manufacturing, quality control, sales and marketing units of the field. The common job profiles available for graduates are:
- Homoeopathic Doctor
- Homoeopathic Consultant
- Teaching Job
- Insurance Officer
- Research Professional
- Marketing Specialist