Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
About Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
BDS is the graduation programme to become a dental surgeon. The programme covers various aspects of dental problems, denture and surgery in the same fields. BDS or Bachelor of Dental Surgery is the most popular medical course after MBBS.
Candidates who successfully complete this 5-year course are also awarded the title of ‘Dr’ and can practice dentistry once they have acquired the license. Pursuing BDS successfully will open up various opportunities for you in the government as well as the private sector of medicine.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for the BDS course have been mentioned below.
- Minimum Qualification Required for BDS: 10+2 (Chemistry, Biology & Physics)
- Minimum Marks Required for BDS (Aggregate): 50% (for General category students) and 40% (for reserved category students)
- Minimum Age Required for BDS: 17 years
- Upper Age Limit for BDS: 25 Years
BDS Admission Process
- The admission to BDS course is done on the basis of national or institute-level entrance exams.
- The biggest and nationally accepted entrance exam for BDS is NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test).
BDS Course Highlights
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
5 Years (4 Years for Academic Education + 1 Year for Internship)
Full Time/ Part-Time
Minimum Qualification Required
INR 50,000 per month – INR 12 LPA
INR 4 LPA – INR 6 LPA
Private Clinics, Educational Institutions, Dental Clinics, Hospitals, Dental Products Manufactures, Pharmaceutical Companies
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Syllabus
Embryology and Histology
General Human Physiology
Dental Anatomy and Embryology
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Career Options and Job Prospects
The medical field has expanded in the past decade such that there are various job opportunities in the private sector as well. Most of the good colleges offer placement opportunities in private hospitals and dental healthcare centres. Dentists are also hired in government hospitals and other government departments on the basis of the entrance exam. Aspiring candidates can apply for these courses after completing their graduation, however, some jobs are available after pursuing MDS. Here are some of the employment areas and job profiles that students can explore.
|Job Profiles/ Types