Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) - Course Overview
Duration: 3 yrs |Mode: Regular|Avg. Fees: 1,05,000 / Year
About Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
With the technological advancement and rapid growth in MNCs and IT, the need for computer professionals is growing day-by-day. Hence, BCA is an excellent career choice for those who have always been fascinated by the world of the computer.
Bachelor of Computer Applications is a three-year undergraduate course which deals with information technology and computer applications. The course imparts knowledge about different computer applications and how to solve and address the problems which arise from a computer and its applications. The course includes subjects such as core programming languages Java and C++, data structure, networking and others. BCA provides various opportunities to the students who wish to pursue their career in IT and software.
The course is divided into six semesters and because of its popularity, it is available both as a regular degree and distance learning. Candidates can choose as per their interests and capabilities.
BCA (Bachelors of Computer Application) Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of BCA (Bachelors of Computer Application) course are given below:
Name of the Course
BCA (Bachelors of Computer Application)
The candidate must have passed 12th with 50% minimum aggregate.
Merit-based: Some colleges take admission on the basis of merit obtained in the qualifying exam.
Entrance based: Some colleges take admission on the basis of a national level, Institute level or a state level entrance exam.
30,000 to 50,000 (depends on institute)
There are a lot of internship opportunities for BCA in India.
Average starting salary
2.5 LPA to 3 LPA
Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) Eligibility Criteria
In order to pursue the BCA (Bachelors of Computer Application) course, the candidates will have to fulfil the given below eligibility criteria:
The candidate must have passed 12th in any stream or equivalent from a recognized board.
The candidate must have acquired a minimum aggregate of 50% in the qualifying examination.
The candidates who are in their final year of degree can also apply for admission.
Admissions to the different journalism courses offered by the various prestigious journalism courses in the nation are either merit-based or entrance-based. Depending on the admission policy of each individual college, candidates are required to present the necessary documents and appear for separate admission and selection processes conducted by the institution. Here are the Journalism admission processes usually opted by the colleges.
- Candidates are required to present the college/university with the appropriate documents to prove their eligibility to the respective courses, as outlined by individual colleges.
- Candidates may further be called for a Personal Interview and/or Group Discussion, as per the admissions guidelines of separate colleges.
- Based on the overall performance of the candidates in the different parameters including the past academic record, performance in the personal interview and/or group discussion will determine the admission status the aspirants.
- After submission of the application forms, aspirants will be called by the respective colleges for an entrance test conducted by the competent authority. On the stipulated date and time, candidates must appear at the specified test centres and attempt the exam.
- Soon after the test, the university or college will announce the results of the test and shortlist candidates for further selection processes based on the scores obtained in the test.
- Shortlisted candidates will then be called for a Personal Interview and/or Group Discussion, depending on the admission guidelines of the college/university.
- Prospective candidates will be shortlisted for admission based on their overall performance in the entrance test, personal interview and/or group discussion along with the past academic records.
Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) Syllabus
File Structure & Database Concepts
Principles of Management
Element of Statistics
Human Resource Management
Career Options and Job Prospects
After BCA degree there are numerous career options available for candidates across the country. Interested students can go for higher studies in the same field such as an MCA degree. It is a post-graduate degree in the computer’s application. Various top colleges in India offer MCA degree.
Students after completing the course have ample job option in the IT and software field. With the boom in the technology arena, thousands of MNCs have invested in India. These companies are always on a hunt for trained computer professionals. Also, they can seek a job in private, public, banking, education, stock markets, insurance marketing, and in e-commerce. An annual salary package of a BCA fresher is between Rs. 2.5 lakh to Rs. 3 lakh.
Below is the list of popular job roles after B.C.A. degree:
- Teacher & Lecturer
- Computer Programmer
- Software Developer
- Marketing Manager
- Business Consultant
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Finance Manager
- Computer Support Specialist
- Service Support Specialist
Other Popular Courses