Chartered Accountancy (CA)
Chartered Accountants are some of the highest paying professionals in India in the non-technical field. It is considered one of the brightest career options for those seeking opportunities in the commerce field. The CA certification comprises education and exams in the field of business, taxation, and accounting.
The procedure to become a Chartered Account (CA) is challenging, as candidates have to clear various exams at different levels, but it is very promising. Although the Chartered Accountancy course duration is almost 5 years, it can take more time than that if candidates take more than one attempt to clear the exams.
Chartered Accountancy professionals are required across various business organizations in India be it private or public. A qualified CA is hired to deal with the account details, tax dues, and investments of an organization. CA also assists in solving disputes and avoiding bankruptcy.
Chartered Accountant (CA) Course Highlights:
Some of the important highlights of the Chartered Accountant (CA) course are as follows:c
10+2 with 50%
Average Starting Salary
INR 5 LPA to INR 6 LPA
Top Recruiting Companies
E&Y, KPMG, Deloitte, PwC, Morgan Stanley, Axis Bank
Chartered Accountancy (CA) Eligibility Criteria
- Qualification Required: 10+2
- Marks Required (Aggregate): 55%
CA Selection and Structure:
Following are the three levels of the CA certification:
- CPT (Common Proficiency Test)
- IPCC (Integrated Professional Competence Course)
- FC (Final course)
- Requirement for Accounting Technician Course (ATC):
- The first step in the career path of a CA is to appear for the Chartered Accountant CPT and then enroll for the ATC. This can be done after clearing 10+2
- Those candidates who have cleared the Entrance Examination or Professional Education (Examination-I) or Foundation Examination can register directly for ATC.
- Candidates who had applied for the Intermediate/ Intermediate (Professional Competence) program/ Professional Education (Course-II) prior to this can also register for ATC.
- Apply for IPCC:
- Candidates should have secured at least 100 out of 200 marks in CPT after class 12 if they want to register for the IPCC program.
- Registration for IPCC must be done nine months prior to the first day of the month in which the exam will be held.
- The course consists of 7 subjects, each comprising 100 marks. In order to clear the course, candidates will have to score at least 40 marks in every subject with an aggregate of 50% or above.
- Scoring 60 marks and above in any subject will exempt you from reappearing for that particular subject in case you fail the course and plan to give the exams again.
- Articles in CA:
After clearing the IPCC, an internship of 3 years under a certified CA is mandatory for all candidates. The article is to gain practical perspective in the field of accountancy.
- Final Course:
During the last six months of the 3-year articles, candidates can appear for the final course exams. After clearing the final course, candidates are awarded the designation of Chartered Accountant.
Chartered Accountancy (CA) Syllabus
Name of the Subject
Parts of Subject
Principles and Practices of Accounting
Business Law & Business Correspondence and Reporting
· Section A: Business Law
· Section B: Business Correspondence and Reporting
Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics
· Part I: Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning
· Part II: Statistics
Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge
· Part I: Business Economics
· Part II: Business and Commercial Knowledge
Chartered Accountancy (CA) Career Options and Job Prospects
Auditing firms, banks, stock broking firms, finance companies, legal firms, etc. are some of the places where CAs can seek jobs after passing all the levels. Salary options are not bright during articleship but candidates get lucrative salary packages after completing the course.
The average starting salary of a CA varies from Rs. 4 to 6 lakh per annum after completing the final course. However, the salary varies according to the job profile of the candidate and the organization that has offered the job. Experienced CAs make up to Rs 20 lakh per annum or even more after completing the programme.
Top Recruiting Companies for Chartered Accountants
Some of the top recruiting companies for Chartered Accountants are as follows:
- Citi Bank
- Morgan Stanley
- Axis Bank
- HDFC Bank
- Standard Chartered