Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM)
Following in the lines of other journalism and mass communication courses in India, the Bachelor of Mass Media is a three-year undergraduate course. The 3-year UG course in mass media has been designed to train and equip students with the ability to research, study, and creatively present information over different channels of media.
Through the 3-year curriculum of Bachelor of Mass Media, students will be trained to communicate effectively through communication channels like television, radio, newspapers, the internet, and much more. Moreover, the curriculum will be unique across mass media colleges in India, where students will be able to uniquely instill qualities and expertise in different areas of media. The BMM course in India has been designed to encourage a more creative and innovative approach to mass communication and journalism.
Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM) Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must have cleared their class 12 (10+2) board exams in any stream from a recognized board of education.
Candidates should also ensure that they have secured a minimum aggregate score of 45% in the qualifying exam.
Highlights of Bachelor of Mass Media
|Minimum Academic Requirement||10+2 (Any Stream)|
|Minimum Aggregate Score Requirement||45%|
|Admissions/Selection Process||University-Level Entrance or Merit-Based|
|Average Course Fee||20,000 – 90,000|
|Average Initial Salary||1,50,000 – 3,00,00|
|Areas of Employment||Television, Radio, Newspapers, WebMedia, etc.|
Bachelor of Mass Media Admission Process
Admissions to the 3-year Bachelor of Mass Media admissions course will be conducted as per the admission policies of individual mass media colleges in India. Each college will offer admissions to aspirants in methods. In India, two methods of admissions are opted by media colleges, viz., Merit-based or Entrance Test-Based.
Based on the admission policies of the media college of the aspirant’s choice, candidates may either be asked to appear for an entrance test, which would most likely be conducted by the college itself. On the other hand, colleges may also offer admissions to candidates based on merit alone.
Merit-based Bachelor of Mass Media Admissions
- Colleges will consider the past academic qualifications of the candidate, such as scores obtained in the Class 12 Board examination, stream pursued, and the relevancy of the subjects to the BMM course.
- Once the colleges have shortlisted the candidates based on the past academic qualifications, a series of selection processes may be undertaken, which may include a Personal Interview and/or a Group Discussion.
- Based on their past academic qualification along with their performance in the Personal Interview and the Group Discussion, candidates will provisionally be admitted to the course.
Note: Admissions to any college will be finalized once the candidate has paid the chargeable BMM course fees specified by the college.
Entrance-Based Bachelor of Mass Media Admissions
- On the stipulated date and time, candidates will be asked to appear for a BMM entrance test, conducted by the college or any competent authority.
- Once you have cleared the examination, candidates will be asked to appear for another series of selection tests, which may include a Personal Interview and/or a Group Discussion.
- Colleges will offer provisional admissions to those candidates who have cleared the Entrance test, the personal interview, and/or the Group Discussion.
- Selection to the course will be based on past academic qualification, performance in the entrance exam, personal interview, and the group discussion along with other parameters that are defined by the college themselves.
Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM) Syllabus
Effective Communication Skills 1
Fundamental of Mass Communication
Introduction to Sociology
Effective Communication Skills 2
Introduction to Literature
Fundamentals of Mass Media
20th Century World History
Introduction to Psychology
Political Concepts & Indian Political Systems
Principles of Management
Introduction to Computers
Bachelor of Mass Communication (BMC) Career Options and Job Prospects
Mass Communication as a field to pursue one’s career path is one of the more difficult but rewarding fields. There are various job profiles that can be pursued by a BMC graduate, in various industries globally. The 21st century has become a digital world, where most of the consumers of mass media approach the Internet to access information. With this entirely new platform, media, public relations, advertising, and other fields have completely changed the ways they approach consumers. However, there is a lack of skilled and qualified professionals, capable of meeting the industry requirements.
Graduating from a Bachelor of Mass Communication course will train you to fill in the vacant positions in media organizations and various other industries. With a wide variety of job profiles, the aspirants will be able to pursue the career path of interest and liking. Check out some of the different job profiles on offer as well as the different areas of employment in India for BMC graduates.
- Multimedia and Web Writer
- Proof Reader
- Photo Journalism
- Public Relations Manager
- Radio Jockey
- Social Media Specialist
- News Report
- News Anchor
Pursuing a career path in one of the aforementioned job profiles can fetch you a lucrative annual package, which, also depends on various other factors. Depending on the job profile, area of employment, type of company or organization, etc, the annual package for BMC graduates may range between 2,00,000 – 8,50,000. Since graduates have also been trained in the field of advertising and public relations, the annual salary packages may also be higher.
Proper skills and experience gained through years of working in the industry would allow for better packages and job profiles. However, if you wish to improve your career opportunities, you may also be able to pursue higher education after graduating from a BMC course. Here is a list of courses one can pursue after graduating from a Bachelor of Mass Communication program:
- Masters in Mass Communication
- Master of Journalism and Mass Communication
- PGD in Journalism and Mass Communication
- MBA / PGDM
These are just a few of the courses one can pursue after graduating from BMC if one wishes to improve their career opportunities. The additional academic qualifications would allow for a better annual package and a better job profile as well. One can also look into changing the discipline such as in the case of pursuing MBA/PGDM or law, wherein the candidates will further be able to open up more career opportunities.