Bachelor of Hotel Management
Bachelor of Hotel Management is an undergraduate program that imparts knowledge about various skills and fundamentals of hospitality and its different sectors. India is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. There’s no doubt about the fact that the hotel industry plays a crucial role in the hospitality industry. Hence, there is a great demand for hotel management professionals who have studied the hotel industry as a whole and have adequate knowledge about other essential factors such as hospitality, public relations, customer service, sales, marketing, and others.
Students who are planning to pursue BHM must have good communication and organizational skills. Along with this, they should have a pleasing personality and an ability to interact with people and make them feel comfortable. BHM course is usually divided into six to eight semesters but may vary from institute to institute.
Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) Highlights
Check the major highlights of the Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) program
Bachelor of Hotel Management
Minimum Qualification Required
12th from any stream
Scores in the 12th examination
Average Course Fee
INR 40,000 to 5 Lacs
Average Starting Salary
INR 6 Lacs
Top Recruiting Companies
Marriott Hotels, The Leela, Club Mahindra, Oberoi Udaivilas, Taj Lake Palace, Oberoi Amarvilas, Taj Falaknuma Palace
Why Study Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)?
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) offers plenty of career opportunities to the students. They will be able to apply for a job in hotels, resorts, tourism management companies, and guest houses.
- This program is perfect for candidates who like to meet new kinds of people.
- Candidates who have completed 12th and are interested in a career in the hotel industry can apply for this course.
Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) Eligibility Criteria
Candidates should satisfy the BHM eligibility criteria decided by the college before applying for admission. The general eligibility criteria for BHM is provided below.
- Minimum Qualification Required: 10+2
- Minimum Marks Required: 50% to 60%
- Age Requirement: The upper limit for the course is 22 years for the general category and 25 years for the reserved category.
BHM Admission Process
- Admission to the BHM program is on the basis of the UGAT – Under Graduate Aptitude Test conducted by AIMA, All India Management Association.
- Some of the private universities like Christ University & GD Goenka School of Hospitality conduct their own entrance tests.
- Few colleges also offer merit-based admissions on the basis of class 12th results like Manipal University.
Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) Syllabus
Some of the major subjects covered in the syllabus of Bachelor of Hotel Management are provided in the table below.
Introduction to Hotel Industry
Food Production – Historical Progression leading to Modern Cookery
Front Office Practical
Functioning of Food Production Department
Foundation Ingredients and their Role in F.P.
Front Office Theory
Housekeeping & Laundry Operations
Food and Beverage Service
Food and Beverage Practical
Safety & First Aid
Food Science & Nutrition
Personality & Communication Development
Housekeeping Hygiene & Sanitation
Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) Career Options and Job Prospects
There are excellent job opportunities available after pursuing BHM undergraduate course since there are various departments in the hotel industry such as Food & Beverages, Front Office, Sales and Marketing, Finance and Accounting, Maintainance, Security, etc.
Initially, most of the candidates work as trainees and on completion of their training, they are hired for full-time positions that suit their personality the best. The average start salary for a fresher is Rs. 2.5 lakh to Rs.4 lakh. Interested candidates can also go for higher studies like an MHM degree in the same field. Following are some of the suitable job roles for BHM graduates:
- Hotel Front Desk Agent
- Sales Manager
- Accounting Manager
- Executive Housekeeper
- Resident Manager
- Convention Service Manager
- Front Office Manager