Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
About Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
BDS is the graduation program to become a dental surgeon. The program covers various aspects of dental problems, denture, and surgery in the same fields. BDS or Bachelor of Dental Surgery is the most popular medical course after MBBS.
Candidates who successfully complete this 5-year course are also awarded the title of ‘Dr’ and can practice dentistry once they have acquired the license. Pursuing BDS successfully will open up various opportunities for you in the government as well as the private sector of medicine.
BDS Course Highlights
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
5 Years (4 Years for Academic Education + 1 Year for Internship)
Full Time/ Part-Time
Minimum Qualification Required
INR 50,000 per month – INR 12 LPA
INR 4 LPA – INR 6 LPA
Private Clinics, Educational Institutions, Dental Clinics, Hospitals, Dental Products Manufactures, Pharmaceutical Companies
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Eligibility Criteria.
The eligibility criteria for the BDS course have been mentioned below.
- Minimum Qualification Required for BDS: 10+2 (Chemistry, Biology & Physics)
- Minimum Marks Required for BDS (Aggregate): 50% (for General category students) and 40% (for reserved category students)
- Minimum Age Required for BDS: 17 years
- Upper Age Limit for BDS: 25 Years
BDS Admission Process
- The admission to the BDS course is done on the basis of national or institute-level entrance exams.
- The biggest and nationally accepted entrance exam for BDS is NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test).
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Career Options and Job Prospects.
Career Options and Job Prospects
The medical field has expanded in the past decade such that there are various job opportunities in the private sector as well. Most of the good colleges offer placement opportunities in private hospitals and dental healthcare centers. Dentists are also hired in government hospitals and other government departments on the basis of the entrance exam. Aspiring candidates can apply for these courses after completing their graduation, however, some jobs are available after pursuing MDS. Here are some of the employment areas and job profiles that students can explore.
· Research Institutes
· Private Practice
· Pharmaceutical Companies
· Educational Institutes
· Dental Products Manufacturers
· Dental Equipment Manufacturers
· Dental Clinics
Job Profiles/ Types
· Private Practitioner
· Dental Lab Technician/ Ceramist
· Medical Representative/ Sales Representative
· Dental Surgeon
· Oral Pathologist
· Public Health Specialist
· Dental Assistant
· Dental Hygienist
Salary After BDS
Graduates also have the options to start their own dental clinic to treat patients. With enough capital and proper research, a dental clinic can help you earn decent money. After pursuing MDS the chances of earning a better salary are high as an MDS usually takes 4 to 6 lakh per annum. Salaries can also vary from city to city as medical expenses and dental charges in metro cities are more than in small cities and towns.
Initial Salary Range at Average Organisations
INR 15,000 per month to INR 30,000 per month
Initial Salary Range at Top-tier Organisations
INR 6 LPA to INR 12 LPA
Specialized Fields After BDS
- Public health Dentistry
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Paedodontics & Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Pathology & Microbiology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics
- Prosthodontics, Crown& bridge
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics