B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering
If you have an inclination towards science and technology and you are keen to understand the working and development of machines, a career in mechanical engineering can turn out to be an ideal one for you.
Mechanical engineering is one of the traditional fields of engineering which has equally played a vital role in the industrialisation of the human race. Essentially, B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering is a four-year full-time course offered at many engineering institutes of the country including the IITs, NITs etc. During the course, mechanical engineering students are trained to develop machine designs, understand their working and development process.
Mechanical engineering is closely related to the design and production of machines which further reduces human labour.
B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for admission into the B.Tech mechanical engineering programme, the candidates have –
- To be10+2 qualified from a recognised Board
- An aggregate score of 60% or above in the qualifying examination
- To study Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics at the qualifying level compulsorily
- To secure at least 55% or above in aggregate if they belong to the reserved categories
B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
Electronics & Instrumentation
Value Education & HR
Introduction to Information Technology
B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering Career Options and Job Prospects
Automobile and Manufacturing Industries offer a plethora of opportunities for mechanical engineering graduates, more so because, with the rapid industrial revolution, the demand for machines and automation of human labour has exponentially increased.
Further, there are a lot of international manufacturing companies that have ventured into India with an objective to expand their business. Mechanical engineering graduates can either go for higher studies such as M.Tech and PhD after appearing in the GATE exam or can also compete for the government sector and PSU jobs as well.
Some of the popular companies that hire mechanical engineers are as follows:
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Thyssen Krupp
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC)
- Godrej Group
- National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO)
- Tata Group
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
The average starting salary of a mechanical engineer can vary anywhere between Rs. 4 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh per annum. However, if you are graduating from a reputed college such as the IITs, better salary packages are rolled out. It is important to note that the grades of the students also matter equally during the placement process.
Furthermore, better salaries are offered to candidates who have gained relevant experience in the field or those who have pursued an MBA in order to take up managerial profiles. If your overall profile is convincing, then as a mechanical engineer, you can also bag opportunities to work overseas for reputed international firms.
B.Tech Mechanical Engineering Admission Process
The admission process into the B.Tech mechanical engineering programme can be divided into –
- Direct admission process– Institutes offer admissions on the basis of the qualifying exam scores of the applicants. Some institutes offer direct admission to the eligible candidates via their management quota scheme
- Entrance based admission process – Institutes accept the scores of national-level or state-level B.Tech entrance exams like JEE Main, WBJEE, UPSEEetc followed by a counselling process to allocate seats finally. Some institutes also conduct their own entrance exams like SRMJEEE, BITSAT etc followed by counselling rounds for the purpose of offering admission into the B.Tech mechanical engineering programme
B.Tech Mechanical Engineering - Course Highlights
Level of Programme
Duration of Programme
10+2 qualified candidates (or equivalent) from a recognised Board with a minimum aggregate score of 60% and have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics at the 10+2 level
Both direct admissions and entrance test based admissions are done
Top Entrance Exams
· JEE Main
· COMEDK UGET
Average Programme Fee
INR 4,00,000/- to INR 10,00,000/-
Average Starting Salary
INR 2.5 LPA to INR 7 LPA