About B.Com (Hons.)
B.Com (Hons.) is a field-oriented program that focuses on preparing students for the industry. This undergraduate degree is one of the traditional commerce courses. The difference between the simple B.Com and B.Com (Hons.) program is that in this course, students get to pick a specialization of their interest and then proceed with that elective in the final year of the course. The course allows students to pick specializations in the final year of the program to provide direction to candidates in the field where they plan to seek jobs.
B.Com (Hons.) is a business-oriented program that imparts education regarding business, taxation accounting, marketing, and other related subjects. The course is very beneficial for candidates who seek a career in the business management and business sector. Pursuing management programs after this course helps in securing brilliant salary packages.
B.Com (Hons.) - Highlights
Bachelor of Commerce (Honors)
Rs. 10,000 – Rs. 1,00,000
Merit or Entrance Exam
BHU UET, PUCET, etc.
Banking, Auditing, Consulting, Telecommunications, Manufacturing, etc.
Average Starting Salary
INR 2 LPA – INR 10 LPA
Popular B.Com (Hons.) Specializations
Here are some of the most preferred B.Com (Hons.) specializations.
- Com in Accounts and Finance
- Com in Investment Management
- Com in Economics
- Com in Banking and Insurance
- Com in Taxation
- Com in Marketing
- Com in Human Resources
B.Com (Hons.) Eligibility Criteria
The common eligibility criteria for B.Com (Hons.) is mentioned below.
- Candidates must have completed an Intermediate level of examination or equivalent from a recognised state or central board.
- The minimum percentage requirements vary from college to college.
- For instance, the cut-off percentage for B.Com at top universities like Delhi University or Mumbai University can reach as high as 99 percent, whereas, for some colleges, it can be a minimum of 45 percent.
- Candidates must have studied Business Studies/ Accountancy/ Economics/ Maths and English as main subjects in Class 12.
The admission process for B.Com (Hons.) at different colleges in India is either done on the basis of merit or entrance exams.
Merit-Based B.Com (Hons.) Admissions
- For Merit-Based B.Com (Hons.) admissions, candidates are simply required to apply for a college.
- After the announcement of Class 12 board results, the colleges publish their cut-off scores on their official website.
- If candidates meet the cut-off criteria of the college of interest, they can proceed with the admission process with document verification at the college campus.
- If they score less than the cut-off score, they will have to wait for the next cut-off list with lower criteria.
Entrance Exam-Based B.Com (Hons.) Admissions
- For this, candidates will have to appear in the institute-specific entrance exams.
- After the announcement of the exams, the colleges publish merit lists of cut-off scores on their official website.
- If candidates make it to the lists, they are corresponded to further the enrollment process.
B.Com (Hons.) Entrance Exams
Few of the colleges and universities conduct admission on the basis of their own entrance exams. Following are some of the popular B.Com (Hons.) entrance exams:
- BHU UET B.Com
- Christ University B.Com Exam
- IPU CET B.com Hons. Exam
- JUET – Jammu University Entrance Test -B.Com (Hons.)
B.Com (Hons.) Syllabus
Major Indian Language: Hindi/ English
Industrial Organisation and Management
Principle and Practice of Management and Business
Financial Accounting – 1
Monetary Theories and Institutions
Business Regulatory Framework
B.Com (Hons.) Career Options and Job Prospects
Commerce is a broad sector and there are various job options after completing the B.Com Hons. Program. Graduates can seek jobs in banks, business consultancies, foreign trade centers, Investment firms, policy planning bodies, educational institutes, etc. Following are some of the job profiles for B.Com (Hons.) graduates.
Job Types/ Profiles
· Auditor ,Account Assistant ,Accountant ,Investment Analyst ,Chartered Management Accountant ,Personal Finance Consultant ,Investment Banker ,Money Manager ,Cashier ,Marketing Manager ,Market Analyst ,Operations Manager ,Budget Analyst ,Cost Estimator ,Business Consultant ,Finance Manager ,Risk Analyst ,Senior Accountant ,Securities Analyst ,Certified Public Accountant ,Stock Broker
Marketing ,Finance Sector ,Customs Department ,Commerce Sector ,Banking Sector ,Import/ Export Companies ,Economic Consulting Jobs ,Economic Consulting Firms ,Research Associates
Salary packages after pursuing B.Com (Hons.) depend on their skills, experience, and the organization they are working with.
· Salary packages in the field can vary from INR 2 LPA to INR 8 LPA.
· The package hikes with more experience.